Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

I know it was a couple of days ago but better late then never, right?

I do want to wish all of my woman friends and family a Happy Belated Mother's Day! I know so many fine mothers and future mothers. I hope each of you enjoyed your day.

I know I did! Friday I went to Spencer's school for the 1st Grade Program. They did awesome! It was so sweet to be there when Spencer walked in and immediately started grinning from ear-to-ear once he saw me. They sang 3 songs and recited a little poem. Most of the moms teared up, of course. After their program, they invited the mothers back to classrooms for cookies and punch. When we walked in the kids had flowers for their mothers. Spencer was so proud to give me a flower all on his own:



Later that evening Matt took Spencer to the mall and helped him find a gift for me. Spencer is usually very good at keeping a secret; not this time! Within 30 minutes Spence inadvertently let me know that I was getting earrings. Once he realized it, I pretended that I hadn't heard what he said. The next day Spence was visiting with me while I was making breakfast. He talked to me about what they almost got me... and then told me that they decided on earrings instead. About 2 seconds later he caught himself. Again. :-D

Saturday, Matt watched Spencer for me while I took my mother out to lunch. We went to Mimi's Cafe and had a very nice visit. She gave me a bag of rice for my food storage! I wouldn't say I'm excited about it, but at least we've got something more then the food in the 72 hour kits to eat in the event of an emergency!

Sunday was a nice relaxing day for me. Spencer gave me the earrings in time for church. I love them! He, (with a little help from Matt), did an awesome job.



I love being a mother to my son. This past month or so has been very difficult, but it's certainly helped me to recognize the sweetness of my son when he chooses to show it. He was so happy to spend the day with me and to shower me with kisses. I remember when he was born and the dr. handed my new born son to me. I looked at my own mother who was standing next to me and choked out, "I'm a mommy now." Since that moment I have loved like I never thought possible. I have been blessed not only to watch, but more importantly, to participate in the life of this amazing little boy. When I think of the last seven years it is amazing to me that it's really been that long. It seems like just last week when I was bringing him home from the hospital, or that he was getting his first tooth, taking his first step, saying "mama" for the first time. There have been difficult times trying to raise a little boy while being a single mother, but the good times have more then outweighed the bad. I thank Heavenly Father for the gift of my sweet little boy and for helping me to remember how blessed I am to have him in my life.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Happy Mother's Day. Sounds like it was a good day for you. Your a great mom!

raising4boys said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your day. I love to see my boys excitement when I come to the school. What a cute boy!!

p.s. enjoy your rice, I've had a hard time finding some :)

kaje said...

Thanks Debbie and Andrea!

Andrea- my mom said that she found it at Macy's last week. It's a big 25 lb. bag. Hope that helps...

stewbert said...

awww, I love the earrings!

The rice ... We're almost out and I haven't found any, especially of the brand I like, at the stores, even Macey's, for a while. BAH.