Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Fighting

Spencer got in a fight at school today. From his own mouth, and confirmed by the teacher: It started because he was tagged out of a game during PE. He thought he was on the base and the other kid thought Spencer was off of the base. So Spencer pushed him. And the other boy pushed back. So Spencer "took him down" and the other kid bit him. I haven't seen him but the teacher warned me that Spencer has a visible bite mark on his shoulder. The Principal is out today, but I imagine that both boys will be in to talk to her tomorrow.

I am at a loss of what to do, other then sit here and alternate between fuming, crying and guilt. Any well meaning suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Crying is good and I too would be fumming. It's one thing to get into a fight but to have a bite mark on your child. Has he had problems with this boy before? I guess it's good you have a day to cool down and gather your thoughts. I would definitely talk to the principle and the teacher. Where was the teacher in all this?

If it was my child I think I would have the school instill an appropriate punishment and then there would be a punishment at home. I would also make sure the other child is dealt with as well.

Sucks! Kids. Why?!

I don't know if any of what I said was any help. Good luck and I'm sorry.

raising4boys said...

I cried the last time I got a call from the principle too! I was glad I went over to the school and got all the facts before we decided on a punishment.

stewbert said...

Kiddo kept doing that when she was in jiu jitsu. We ended up withdrawing her from the class. Hope this was a one-time thing, but the biting? THAT is inexcusable, IMO. They are way old enough to know biting someone else isn't okay, even if they punch you. punch 'em back for pete's sake ... ;)

Mother 25 - 8 said...

Hey there! Just caught up on your blog. Love it!!! I think you did great by the way regarding Spencer. I wouldn't have worried much about how the biter was dealt with ~ that's the business of his parents, (plus I just wouldn't waste my energy on it) but just dealing with Spencer the way you did I think was great. Parenting. Not easy especially when they've got their own ideas, huh? Keep it up, and I liked Matt's photography!!!